Subject: Making standards easier to implement - slides from Ray Gauss, Alfresco

TC Chairs,

Last year, I had an the opportunity to attend a meeting of the IPTC where Ray Gauss from Alfresco gave a presentation that included covering steps standards groups can take to help developers implement their work. You can see the presentation at the link below.

Ray put the slide deck together specifically for the meeting’s discussion of the IPTC’s Machine Driven Rights Management standard, a fascinating and value topic in itself. What I found eye-opening however was the section on “Why aren’t there more implementations?”

Ever ask yourself that question? Starting on slide 15, Ray gives you great insight from his perspective as a developer trying to use a standard to get something done. In a nutshell, he says:

- Make your standard discoverable;

- Make your standard digestible by the poor, lone developer;

- Give us SDKs and other code to start from;

- Give us real-world sample data, not thin ‘hello world’ examples; and

- Encourage proper end-user use of the standard (e.g. no “other” or “misc” fields).

To read through Ray’s entire presentation, see https://my.alfresco.com/share/s/5lKSU4jpRwGo4dWxgvpAvA

If you think this topic is worth more discussion, I’ll be happy to facilitate something. If you see steps that OASIS can take to help accomplish these goals, I’m also happy to take these back to staff and explore what we can do.

In any case though, my thanks to Ray for sending me the link and giving me permission to share this with you. Please do have a read-through.

Best regards,

/chet   [§]
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org