Subject: “Error! Reference source not found.” in committee spec and note documents

Chairs,

This is something you may want to share with your editors.

Recently, while we are preparing TC specs and notes for publication or public review, we have come across broken internal cross-references that display as a bold “Error! Reference source not found” in the text. For example, in the body of the document instead of seeing “See Section 4.1 Fire and Ice,” we find “See Error! Reference source not found. These can slip past the document editors because the form of the cross reference doesn’t change until the cross-reference field is updated, for example when doing a Save as PDF operation.

This usually occurs in a situation where the editor has inserted an internal cross-reference to another place in the document - a section for example or a figure or a table - and then later the target is changed in a way disrupts the link. The section might be moved and a new section heading put on it or a table may be split into two separate tables. Word will try to resolve the link but in cases like these it can’t find the target.

At this point, the text of the document will still show the original text. However, when the fields are updated, the Error! message is inserted.

We see these because during the production process we produce the HTML and PDF versions of the document. We can’t fix them for you though.

Our suggestion is that as a final check, editors take the simple step of saving the document as HTML or PDF and then searching for the string “Error!”. If any of the links are broken, this will take you right to them. Or alternatively, they can type Ctrl-A to select the entire document then update all the fields by pressing F9.

I assume a similar problem can occur in ODF files but we’ve not encountered it yet.

Let us know if you have any questions on this.

/chet   [§]
Chet Ensign
http://www.oasis-open.org

Primary: +1 973-996-2298