Subject: Re: [chairs] Seeking your feedback on proposed workflow changes

Thanks.

Allan Thomson

CTO (+1-408-331-6646)

LookingGlass Cyber Solutions

From: Chet Ensign <chet.ensign@oasis-open.org>
Date: Tuesday, May 26, 2020 at 8:14 AM
To: Allan Thomson <athomson@lookingglasscyber.com>
Cc: Stefan Hagen <pantherleon@web.de>, Bret Jordan <bret.jordan@broadcom.com>, "chairs@lists.oasis-open.org" <chairs@lists.oasis-open.org>, OASIS Board Process Committee <board-process@lists.oasis-open.org>

THIS EMAIL ORIGINATES FROM OUTSIDE OF LOOKINGGLASS

Allan, sorry for the confusion. I'll do a better job of explaining.

All work that happens here is covered by the IPR Policy. Copyright, trademarks, etc. is always applicable to anything and everything done in a committee.

The particular issue I was pointing out to Stefan is the difference between an OASIS Standards Draft Deliverable and an OASIS Standards Final Deliverable.

A Committee Specification Draft is a Standards Draft Deliverable. It is covered by the LIMITED PATENT COVENANT FOR DELIVERABLE DEVELOPMENT (section 6 - https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/ipr#limitedpatent) - a limited covenant not to assert any essential claims against another TC member for the development of the work.

When the TC approves the CSD as a Committee Specification, it is then an OASIS Standards Final Deliverable. It is at that point that the obligations and commitments associated with the chosen IPR mode lock in and the obligations made by TC members apply for any conforming implementation. That was the distinction I was pointing out to Stefan. The distinction in name between Committee Spec Draft and Committee Spec is meaningful in that regard.

Does that answer the question?

Best,

/chet