ciq-comment message

Subject: [ciq-comment] xNAL Schema "errors"

As a newcomer to the world of XML, I discovered xNAL while trying to find an example of an XML Schema to study. It also has a great potential for use within our business.

I presumed that the approved release is error-free, but my XML tool (eXcelon Stylus Studio) reports four errors when validating it:

This is the error report:
Validating xNAL.xsd...
file://h:\XML\OASIS CIQ SCHEMAs\SCHEMA\W3C-Schemas\xNL.xsd:95,47: Anonymous complexType in element Title has a name attribute
file://h:\XML\OASIS CIQ SCHEMAs\SCHEMA\W3C-Schemas\xNL.xsd:91,65: Untyped element: Title
:1,59: 'n:xNL' and '##other' violate the Unique Particle Attribution rule
:1,59: 'a:xAL' and '##other' violate the Unique Particle Attribution rule

The XML document xNAL.xsd is NOT valid (4 errors)

The first two error messages I can remove by deleting name="Title" on line 95 of xNL.xsd, and this seems a reasonable thing to do.

The second two errors seem to refer to lines 35-37 of xNAL.xsd:
<xs:element ref="n:xNL" minOccurs="0"/>
<xs:element ref="a:xAL" minOccurs="0"/>
<xs:any namespace="##other" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">

The discussion at <http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200111/msg00597.html> seems to refer to this issue, and indeed I can remove these error messages by removing the minOccurs="0" from each of the xs:element lines. This, howevers seems to be an inappropriate thing to do.

Can you tell me whether these are recognised bugs in the Schema, or whether it is my tool that is at fault?

And can you advise me on how the errors might be resolved?

Thanks for your assistance

John Banks
Group Financial Planning
The Boots Co PLC