ciq message

Subject: RE: article on US gov't interest/concern with CPExchange

Thanks John, this is certainly valuable information and we should try to
steer clear of these happenings.

However, I see that it is more the *intent to use* this technology that is
being attacked than the standardizing process itself. I mean, you could
prohibit the development of fiber optic wire also because it may be used to
transmit illegal material, but the good obviously outweighs the bad. I
believe the worries about CPExchange are that by means of the consortium
data warehousing agreements are made more easily between members. For the
same reason, the OTA has in its bylaws a rule that at OTA meetings no
pricing strategies may be discussed (to prevent susceptibility to anti-trust
legislation).

If things don't calm down, perhaps we should be more explicit in our
possible relations to encryption and privacy standards (XML Encryption,
P3P). On a personal note, I have trouble agreeing with the route that P3P is
taking but this may be due to incomplete understanding on my side. I do not
agree with them developing content (they also define an Address, without any
content experts on their panel! Don't they overestimate themselves?);
instead all I would like them to do is define some attributes in a separate
namespace, stating privacy sensitivity of its parent element, that we may
add to our elements.

Cheers,
Vincent