ciq message

Subject: CIQ Call

Hi Ram, all,

first, I did not have time yet to dive into the details of both specs and
will not before the call either. With the time to our planned 0.5 release
nearing I would prefer to have the discussion focus on the what, how and
when and leave the details for later e-mails.

For one, I believe that we should first discuss integration of GlobalAddress
into NAML to make xNAL (I believe we would call it that, right?), and leave
element-level discussions for later. Discussion topics there would be how
tight the integration of Name (person or company) and Address should be.
Your remark concerning our Firm element reinforces my belief here.
Firm/Company (I would prefer the neutral name Organization to get the taste
of for-profit out) is an essential part of the postal information, but
whether this should be part of the address or moved into the Name part is
open for discussion.

I even believe looking at it the other way around is easier: Take an
Address, and insert into that the naming information. This would better
support automated address validation, as sometimes a name is an essential
part of the address and sometimes it isn't. XML specification languages are
still at their best describing hierarchical relations inward (i.e. name
*within* address, and when it is mandatory). GlobalAddress structure is
currently verifyable using DTDs or Schema and I would prefer to keep it that
way.

Good news is that I have received raw sample data for 36 countries from our
data department, which I need to seriously process before release. I would
appreciate you (Ram) send some samples of NAML, as this would aid in the
integration.

I would suggest the following topics for our call:

- ebXML
- CEN/UPU
- Integration of GlobalAddress and NAML and further detailed timeline to
publication 0.5
- Use of Schema
- Security update

Looking forward to talk to you all,