ciq message

Subject: Few addresses for xAL

Vincent

I am finding hard to convert the following addresses
into XML using GlobalAddress V1.2. I am not sure whether
I am missing something. Can you please help me with
suggestions on what should be done? Thanks. Following are
valid postal/mailing addresses:

1 College Green, Singapore 1129
(Singapore does not have a locality/Administrative area)

Block 2, RIPPON BUILDING Level 12, Suite 1A
47 Kinsgton Avenue North, North Ryde, NSW 2113, Australia
(North Ryde is locality, NSW is admin.area)

1 Jalan Satu, Near Masjid, 3150 Tronoh, Perak, Malaysia
(Tronoh is locality, Perak is admin area)

21 Karpagambal Nagar,
Via-Thiruvanmiyur,
Kottivakkam (PO),
Chennai 600041,
Tamilnadu,
India
(tamilnadu is admin.area, Chennai is city, Kottivakkam is locality where the
post office is,
 thiruvanmiyur is a major area and Karpagambal nagar is an area with many
houses)

I am now in the process of trying out different address examples to
construct a list
of examples for xAL based on the GlobalAddress V1.2 spec.

The other feature that is commonly seen in XML based addresses is described
below.

Let us take an example, say, 23 Archer Road, Chatswood, NSW 2067, Australia

Most of the general XML tagging for the above address used around the world
is as follows:

<Address>
 <Country>Australia</Country>
 <State>NSW</State>
 <PostalCode>2067</PostalCode>
 <Locality>Chatswood</Locality>
 <Street>23 Archer Street</Street>
</Address>

(or)

<Address>
 <AddressLine1>23 Archer Street</AddressLine1>
 <AddressLine2>Chatswood</AddressLine2>
 <AddressLine3>NSW 2067</AddressLine3>
 <AddressLine4>Australia</AddressLine4>
</Address>

In GlobalAddress, you cannot do the former one, but the later can be done.
You cannot use the tag as the container itself. It has to have sub-tags in
GlobalAddress
such as

<Country>
 <CountryName>Australia</CountryName>
 <AdministrativeArea>
  <AdministrativeAreaName>NSW</AdministrativeAreaName>

My point is that it adds an extra overhead to represent the data in the most
generic form. It will be nice to have the flexibility to describe the data
as
above or as

<Country>Australia
 <AdministrativeArea>NSW
  <Locality>Chatswood
   <Street>23 Archer Street
   </Street>
  </Locality>
 </AdministrativeArea>
</Country>

This helps to represent the data in the most generic form which is what is
done commonly.
Your comments please. If you think that this sugegstion is reasonable, I can
modify the
DTD accordingly.

Regards

Ram