ciq message

Subject: Potential for co-operation with CEN, The Eurpoean Standardization Body

Hi all

The CIQ TC has been talking to CEN (the European Standardization Body)
regarding working closely together on name and address
standardisation. I wrote to Mr.Wandt recently on what has been achieved by
the CIQ so far. Here is the response from Mr.Wandt that I would
like to share with you. The response is very positive.

Regards

Ram

Original Message-----
From: Holger Wandt
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 11:11 PM
To: 'Ram Kumar'
Subject: RE: OASIS CIQ XML Standards for Name and Address

Dear Mr Kumar,

Having read the specifications and the examples, I must say that I'm quite
impressed with the work of CIQ. My compliments!

The first thing I noticed, was that you have taken an hierarchical approach,
which is understandable regarding the objective of your work. As you may
know, within CEN we have taken a functional approach, since our goal is also
to describe and possibly standardize the representation and electronic
exchange of names and addresses.
I think it will be quite a challenging exercise to combine both our efforts.
Please find the draft of the standard on address components enclosed. It is
still in the enquiry phase of CEN, so it is not yet official. But I think
you will be able to gain a good understanding of our work.
Will it be possible for you to attend one of the meetings of the workingf
group address database of CEN/TC331/WG3 in Europe? Or are there abny other
member of your team living in Europe (since Vincent Buller will not continue
his work for AND)?
I think it might very useful for both our working groups to have a meeting
on concerted actions. That way, the basis for an international standard will
increase.
We are planning to have a meeting at the end of June (probably 29th).
Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Holger Wandt
-------------------------------
About Mr. Holger Wandt's Group:

Mr.Holger Wandt is the chairman of the working group address databases
within CEN/TC331/WG3. CEN is the European Standardization body. The task of
the group is to develop a multi-part standard, covering the definition of of
address components and address structures, the representation of addresses,
the electronic exchange, the validation and interpretation of address data.
Currently, the group has completed the first part of the standard, which
provides a dictionary of all possible components of postal addresses,
togeteher with examples of and constraints on their use. The standard (which
is in the enquiry phase of CEN at the moment) also contains a model of the
specification of an address, which the working group wishes to represent in
a formal language (possibly XML).

Furthermore, the United States Postal Service has made a proposal to the
United Postal Union (UPU - a UN organization) to assemble a development
group with a vested interest in the development of an international name and
address standard. For this effort they seek the cooperation of CEN (the
working group address databases), the UN/Edifact group, the Graphic
Communications Association (GCA), The Direct mail Advisory Board (UPU) and
the PostCode group (UPU). During the last plenary meeting of CEN/TC331/WG3
it has been agreed the the group will join in this effort.