ciq message

Subject: [ciq] Re: Postal Address Templates

Attached is my paper for the UPU POST*Code project on postal address templates, which I agreed to distribute during the conference call today.  The UPU seeks to define address templates on a country by country basis, and given lists of address elements, to determine whether actual addresses can be parsed into the elements, and passed though the templates, to constitute deliverable addresses.

This method of describing templates also covers rendition instructions which are used to edit the addresses to fit into a vertically or horizontally constrained space such as an address label, called for as a second step in the UPU project.  It is intended to support both single piece mail and business mailings.  Elements and rendition instructions from multiple sources, such as OASIS, ECCMA, ADIS, etc., or natural language tags, can be used within the same template.

I think this paper has some common points of departure with David Webber's work on "assembly docs" for ebXML, although the focus of my work is limited to postal addresses.  I also think it shows that when one tries to describe ideas that are new, or at least new to the author, that the DTD still has a useful role to play!  Any comments or suggestions are very welcome.