ciq message

Subject: Re: [ciq] FW: UBL Address format vs. CIQ

Michael,

That's a huge "if"!

Schema frankly is not intended to be doing all this.  If you read the
W3C Requirements - it has a very
simple use profile.

However - people keep heaping all these other things on it - and wonder
why it does not do a great job.

Frankly - shoe-horning this stuff into schema gives people a false sense
of solution - its just a band-aid at best - and then
has all these side effects - now we have to have two schemas - and you
have to ignore parts of it - and then there is
gnarly questions like - how do you support versioning and contextual
selections, how do you create re-usable
sub-assemblies for address components?

That is why we created CAM and Registry because we recognize these
chronic limitations.

I know I keep urging using CAM here - and people don't want to have to
learn something else - and have more
extensions - but the bottom line is either you can do this right or you
can continue to band-aid.  And CAM really
is not hard to do because it has been designed to be readable syntax -
whereas schema is explicitly stated to
be unreadable by humans as a design decision.

The jCAM implementation has matured dramatically in the past two months
- and now we're seriously tackling
the direct integration to registry - the ability to manage nouns
definitions and then deploy them directly to a
standard based engine is achievable here.  Your Java programs can call
jCAM directly and pass DOM pointers
to XML content and have jCAM both validate and post-process the content
using the integrated Saxon tools.

So - my argument is that the schema cannot be a self-contained source,
its not designed to be, and it does not
have sufficent tools or extensibility to do that.   It use model is a
narrow client-centric structure checker in a
disconnected environment.  That's not what an e-Business system is -
e-Business is about collaborative
working and leveraging shared resources.

You need a car ferry and the W3C schema is a row-boat.

Cheers, DW