ciq message

Subject: Re: [ciq] FW: Invitation: OASIS TaxXML TC, Sydney 2005

Ram,

I'm very glad to hear that you'll be attending the TaxXML TC face-to-face
meeting in Sydney.  I assume you've seen the agenda that Christine
forwarded that includes a session planned for the afternoon on Feb. 2 for
one hour and fifteen minutes for CIQ.  It's currently titled
"Identification of taxable persons and companies. A discussion with Ram
Kumar, chair of OASIS CIQ TC"  Once we plan the discussion, we can
determine whether this is an appropriate title.

I believe you've likely read some of the documents that have been prepared
by the TC, but for some brief background, the committee has been working on
a number of projects over the past year, each with some implication for
CIQ.

First of all there's what the committee terms a "Position Paper" that
discusses some existing standards including CIQ.  Under recommendation, the
paper states "Recommend that CIQ be monitored, as it could provide the
foundation for customer identity information, to be used in conjunction
with other standards under review".  For future activities the document
includes:  Monitor the progress of CIQ; Assess if CIQ has matured enough
for the efficient and effective development of tax documents; and Work on
proof of concept to determine usefulness of CIQ within the tax context.

Then there are two work projects that are underway.  The first is what
we've termed a pilot project to allow the TC to go through a specification
development effort on a relatively simple tax area with limited scope.
This is the Certificate of Residence project which has implications for
managing potential double taxation between Tax treaty countries.  One of
the side pieces of work out of this project was to address "Taxpayer
Identification" in general.  This has an obvious requirement for the type
of information supported by CIQ as well as the Certificate and Application
for Certificate that are the documents that are to be specified.  Michael
has used CIQ as a test case for this effort.

The other project involves Indirect Tax.  This effort is to develop a
reference model for the tax information requirements for standard business
documents such as Purchase Orders and Invoices that would raise a need to
determine indirect taxes.  This reference model will be used to determine
whether existing standards adequately address the tax information
requirements so that recommendations can be made as necessary.  While this
analysis most directly affects standards such as UBL, there are certainly
requirements for CIQ information.

Given this as the state of TaxXML as it relates to CIQ, here are the
thoughts Michael and I have come up with on what we might like to present
to facilitate the discussion:

- Brief intro to CIQ
- What separates CIQ from other "Party" standards (examples of others)
- How has CIQ been accepted and adopted.  What issues have been raised.
How is CIQ dealing with these issues.  What are the plans for version 3.
- How does CIQ apply to the work of TaxXML
        Active projects; CoR and Indirect Tax
        Taxpayer identification
        Show example schemas using the above projects and simple tax filing
- Discuss Expectations for CIQ in TaxXML
        Endorse in position paper
        Use as reference in specifications
        Use in construction of reference schemas

Please get back to us with any thoughts on this

Kind Regards,

John and Michael

                      "Ram Kumar"
                      <RKumar@msi.com.a        To:       <ciq@lists.oasis-open.org>
                      u>                       cc:
                                               Subject:  [ciq] FW: Invitation: OASIS TaxXML TC, Sydney 2005
                      11/28/2004 10:34
                      PM

Michael and John,

We need to plan about the discussion session between
CIQ and TaxXML at this event in Sydney. Any suggestions, ideas, etc
are welcome.

Regards,

Ram