ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Identifiers in CIQ schemes

Colin,

Giving every address what amounts to a serial number sounds harmless except
that doing so is quite a bit of work.

Perhaps one question to be addressed (no pun intended) is what happens over
time? In the U.S., the postal service reorganizes ZIP codes for locales that
are experiencing rapid growth. Companies buy and sell each other and
properties are subdivided or sometimes reunified. There are short-lived
addresses such as PO Boxes and "care/of" arrangements. Addresses are highly
perishable.

To make serialization useful, would you maintain successor and predecessor
tables of all these changes? How would you propagate and retire serial
numbers across impacted databases?

In return for this work, what is the payback?

                                    Fulton Wilcox
                                    Colts Neck Solutions LLC

-----Original Message-----
From: Max Voskob [mailto:max.voskob@paradise.net.nz]
Sent: Thursday, February 10, 2005 9:36 PM
To: colin.wallis@ssc.govt.nz; ciq@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Colin,

In fact, NZ xNAL already has the ability to store ID for almost anything and
use IDs instead of the actual address elements.

Shared IDs are good when there is some aurotitave source of them.
There is no problem in assigning an ID to an address or location or just a
geographical name. The problem starts when you get the ID and want to know
what it means.

The infrastructure needed to convert addresses into IDs and vice versa might
be a show stopper.

E.g. IDs can be sourced from LINZ BDE, but again, the infrastructure to do
just that is undefined.

Would be interesting to know what your thoughts are.

Cheers,
Max