ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Identifiers in CIQ schemes

All:

With respect to use cases, perhaps my little matrix below helps. Note that
fleshed out "use cases" can serve two roles: 1) to validate the CIQ design,
and 2) perhaps more importantly, to set the stage for "selling" the design
of CIQ. Note that both prioritization and scientific sampling suggest that
one does not have to be exhaustive in trying every use case, but it is
helpful to have a comprehensive overview in mind.

Below I have listed down the left what I term "entities," and I expressed
these in terms of the principal customer entities in SAP R/3 (and of course
these entities are found, if in somewhat different terms, in other ERPs, so
I cite SAP merely as a benchmark.).

Also, I have shown across the top a list of terms of the roles/processes in
which those entities may be the actors, the subjects, or may interact. With
respect to addresses, "physical" is certainly a high priority, because it
has to do with mailing, emergency services routing, etc. However, the others
are often very important, and "workflow" is of growing importance.

                   Physical      Logical     Business Relationship
Workflow     Jurisdictional

"Entities"

Sold-to
Group-to
Ship-to
Bill-to
Payer

"Quasi-entities"

Contracts
Purchase orders
Licenses
Certifications
People (attention: Sam Smith)
Legal notice addressees
Etc.

In SAP, Sold-to is the lowest level customer entity - e.g., that can hold
pricing, Ship-to is the lowest level physical customer entity (and for many
situations sold to and ship to are effectively synonym entities), group-to
is a specialized sold-to entity that can hold pricing and other data
relevant to multiple sold tos, Bill-to is the customer entity that receives
the invoices (and with outsourcing common, could be in another company and
another country), and Payer is the entity that issues the payment (again
perhaps outsourced). My presumption (perhaps worth testing with some
friendly SAPites) is that CIQ has the "right stuff" (and more) for  suitably
defining these entities in typical uses.

Typical is of course gradually escalating in complexity. If a major company
(XYZ, inc.) using SAP R/3 internally has to implement a new major,
multi-country trading relationship with, say, Toyota, the "use case" becomes
whether CIQ has the "right stuff" to serve as the overarching template for
defining "Toyota" within the supplier's information infrastructure. There
are of course two further questions, - 1) given that CIQ probably has the
"right stuff," will the IT practitioners involved recognize that fact and
figure how to match CIQ to SAP and vice versa, and  2) does SAP R/3 itself
have the right stuff to accommodate the CIQ templates and data (which of
course will have to be significantly torqued to go into SAP's relational
database structures). Points 2 and 3 have to do with CIQ adoption - i.e.,
will practitioners even try to leverage CIQ and if so will they be defeated
by limitations of their IT vehicles?

Note that SAP's own architecture is significantly changing, but the present
test is probably against SAP R/3 "classic" (e.g. R/3 4.6c) as opposed to the
new more componentized SAP's.

What I list as quasi-entities are from a CIQ aspect a mixture of physical
and abstract entities. As an example, in various jurisdictions one has to be
licensed to do business and may also need special certificates. The address
to which the license pertains often need to be aligned with entities such as
sold-to-addresses. The licenses and certifications typically have both
physical components (e.g., applying to 155 Highstreet, your town, your
country) and a legal entity component (XYZ silicon fabrication LTD).

For certain hazardous materials, the customer may have a permit that allows
up to 10 kilograms of a certain substance, and that limit may pertain to
multiple ship-to's within a facility. Some customers in part or in whole
outsource tracking to the supplier, and in other contexts (vendor managed
inventory) the supplier may need to incorporate customer entities (inventory
holding points) into the supplier's roster of "entities').

Contracts and PO's are particularly nasty use cases, primarily because the
people creating them are often entirely unaware of the difficulties they
cause by their choice of entity "model" and reference points. Therefore,
pricing a transaction in conformance with a contract may require tests based
on physical, abstract (e.g., customer "business unit" or,even worse,
supplier and customer business unit) and perhaps date aspects (which might
involve predicting arrival time if the price is "when delivered").
Similarly, there are legal addresses for notices - in the U.S. that may mean
sending notices of pricing changes or whatever to some office in the State
of Delaware even though neither buyer nor sellers have any physical
facilities in or even near Delaware.

CIQ clearly does not "own" all the questions and issues involved in
exploiting the fruits of CIQs labors. On the other hand, it may be that a
bit of work to try out use cases will both avoid future rework and set the
stage for quicker adoption.

                                     Fulton Wilcox
                                     Colts Neck Solutions LLC
                                     Colts Neck, New Jersey USA 07722