ciq message

Subject: xNAL V3 early view from NZ Govt

Ram, Max

We have had an early look at your new design for Version 3. Our initial assessment sees us positioned as "neutral" on the matter.

On the one hand we think data matching may actually be harder with this design due to the more flexible structure which will require more work on pre exchange agreements between the parties. (We propose to do a low key unofficial straw poll of govt agencies to determine their view).  Developers might need to be wary of that strong typing.

On the other it offers the potential of better import of CVLs. And the flexbile structure should be more popular and drive more use of the standard.  To a point any standard that gets wide acceptance is better than no standard at all!

Below, we have tried to example the history of the formats to date to get a feel for the direction.

Is it right is the first question? Max?/Ram? If so it may help us compare and contrast the versions.

Issues with the Proposed xNAL (international) version 3.X  Design paradigm shift

Called an NZ Govt e-GIF team members meeting to discuss implications of considering the new design  Wayne for directory, Andrew for development, Liz for xNAL user group, Colin for identity standards/xCILuser group.

Structural changes
	Element now neutralised to offer simplified structure with enumeration attribute for type  allowing for simpler structures or tolerating fields that contain full name.

Complex xNL elements in the xNAL(international) standards documents:

1.0       <NameDetails CustomerType="Person">
        			<PersonName>
            			<Title>Ms</Title>
<LastName>Kolster</LastName>
             			<FirstName NameType="GivenName"
                       				Type="Official">Elizabeth</FirstName>
             			<FirstName NameType="GivenName"
                        			Type="Unofficial">Liz</FirstName>
				</FormerName>
			</PersonName>
	</NameDetails>

2.0	<NameDetails  PartyType=Person>
<PersonName>
	<Title>Ms</Title>
<LastName>Kolster</LastName>
<FirstName Type=GivenName>Elizabeth</FirstName>
<FirstName Type=Alias>Liz</FirstName>
<FormerName>
<NameLine NameType=FullName>Liz Kolster</NameLine>
</FormerName>
		</PersonName>
	</NameDetails>

3.0	<PartyName> Type=Person
<PersonName>
<LastName>Kolster</LastName>
<FirstName>Elizabeth</FirstName>
<FirstName Type=Initial>E</FirstName>
<FirstName Type=KnownAs>Liz</FirstName>
</FormerName>
		</PersonName>
</PartyName>

3.X	<PartyName Type=Person>
	<PersonName>
		<NameElement Type=LastName>Kolster</NameElement>
<NameElement Type=FirstName>Elizabeth</NameElement>
<NameElement Type=KnownAs>Liz</NameElement>
</NameElement Type=FormerName>
			<NameElement Type=FullName>Liz Kolster</FullName>
</PersonName>
</PartyName>

Comparison of the xNAL(nz) version recommendations:

3.1	xNL-basic:
<PersonName Type=PersonName>
<FirstName>Elizabeth</FirstName>
<LastName>Kolster</LastName>