ciq message

Subject: RE: [ciq] Use of OASIS code list specs. in CIQ TC V3.0?

John,

I concur here.  This was pretty much my thoughts.

OASIS seems to have a happy knack too - of picking TC names that do not reflect what they are doing.  Codelists is one - and then the latest in that saga is "docstandards-interop" - which you could be forgiven for thinking was developing interoperability standards - instead they are designing a common XML representation format for use with DITA for creating technical documents.

Codelists should have been called something like - code values metadata IMHO - but I have the sense they wanted it to be overlapping.

My big concern here is that people will think the codelist stuff is to be used in creating actual codelists for use - because noone is saying not to - and we can already see that happening in UBL here:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/

and country codes -
http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/default/CountryIdentificationCode-2.0.gc

notice - tons of processing overhead and tough to quickly verify via eyeballing it - just what codes are or are not there (sorry silly me - I thought one of the key design features of XML was its human accessibility...)

: -(

Compared to CAM extension format - where the same values take up just 12% of total bytes - can be viewed in couple of screen pages in XML viewer - and lookup occurs in fraction of CPU cycles.

Lesson learned - it does not look authoritative to have something really simple and compelling - you have to make it have "throw weight" where the printout sits a foot high when placed on someones desk for review.

I'm much happier with following your example - and collecting useful references - and pointing out these things are HIGHLY CONTEXT dependent and people should not feel locked into something because.

BTW - you may have noticed that ISO are terrible at versioning and providing consistent releases of XML versions of their code values from a secure and sensible location - such as sourceforge CVS!  And that's because they are not in the software business - but a standards publishing outfit - so they still think books and paper.

I'm not sure what the real answer here is - but I hate to give people the impression that OASIS codelists work is for defining codelists - rather than just metadata.

Very bad "deja vue" attack here!

Hopefully Ram can suggest something good for us to do - that adds value and gives people a heads-up on what their simple obvious options are with CIQ.

Perhaps providing pointers in our CIQ context - we can sift through what folks need - to save them time tracking down useful codelist sources?

Cheers, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)