ciq message

Subject: Re: CIQ V3.0 will implement OASIS Codelist Specs

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

Regards,

Ram

On 4/21/07, David Bruehlmeier <typo3@bruehlmeier.com> wrote:
Hi Ram,

just wanted to let you know that I have followed the discussion and that I approve the result (even though I cannot formally vote... :-)

Greetings,
Dave

From: Ram Kumar [mailto:kumar.sydney@gmail.com]
Sent: Freitag, 20. April 2007 19:53
To: ciq@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Bruehlmeier,David; David Bruehlmeier; Max Voskob; Colin Wallis; Graham Lobsey; liz.kolster@ssc.govt.nz
Subject: CIQ V3.0 will implement OASIS Codelist Specs

Friends,

Given that I have not heard from you objecting to CIQ V3.0 implementing
OASIS CodeList Specs., we will go ahead and implement the specs.
By implementing Codelist specs., in CIQ, it gives the power to users
to include any type of codelist of their choice without having to worry
about any impact to the CIQ specs. I think this is great functionality
particularly for a specs., like CIQ that is application independent, and hence,
has to deal with a wide variety of code lists that may be proprietary or
industry recommended.

I hope to have a version of CIQ V3.0 specs., with Codelist ready by
Monday week. Let us see.

The functionality that CIQ V3.0 will get out of this implementation are:
-a complete set of predefined coded values for a data type (e.g. country code)
specified by a standards group (e.g. ISO, UN/CEFACT) and matching the enumeration
of values in  the CIQ schemata; these sets of values can be restricted by
trading partners/users to only a subset of the predefined values required for validation;

- a complete set of predefined coded values specified by the CIQ Technical Committee;
these sets of values can be restricted or extended by trading partners/users to
be any set required for validation;

- an empty set with no coded values; these sets can be replaced by trading partners/users
to be any set required for validation.

- Two pass validation of data
  1. Validation for the structure of the CIQ XML document against CIQ schema (the syntax)
  2. validation of the code list values in the CIQ XML document against the codelists. This
     is optional and has nothing to do with validation 1.

Regards,

Ram