cloudauthz message

Subject: Re: [cloudauthz] Use Case Submission: Context Driven Entitlements

Mike,
  thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
Anil

On 03/11/2013 02:59 PM, mpoulin@usa.com wrote:
Sorry, Folks, I was on holidays and missed the meeting.

I have a few questions to the submitted Use Case 1:

1) since when a context, i.e. a surrounding, includes the subject, resource and actor? Isn't here a mixture of terms?

2) what does mean 'environment'; how is it defined? [How can we write Use Cases before defining terms?]

3) Is "In a Cloud Computing Environment, access decisions need to be made based on the context"   a story or a solution? For 20 years of delaing with entitlement in the USA and UK, I never heard that "access decisions need to be made based on the context". I'd understand "... based on policies". Can we have a different wording for this part of the case?

4) I do not understand this story. What is the story? What the actor is doing with wat (otherwise, it is not a use-case). What tasks come out of the story?

5) The ** Goal or Desired Outcome ** is not formulated in the manner of 'goal'. Can we make it clear? (Where "a repository or service" came from? They were not mentioned in the "story").

6) What does mean ** Categories Covered **? Covered by what? Where "Account and Attribute Management. (Provisioning) - Audit and Compliance" came from? There is no logic in this English text! (It is impossible to work together if instead of writing things down someone assumes that others can read out of his head).

7) All ** Categories Covered **, ** Applicable Deployment and Service Models **, ** Actors **, ** Notable Services **, must be articulated in the "story" or clearly assigned to the _solution_ section (including** Assumptions ** and ** Process Flow **). Otherwise, it is impossible to understand what is given, what is proposed as a solution and how it may be realised. So far, it is a total mess.

8) Strictly speaking in UML terms, the ** Process Flow ** is NOT a use case but Activity or Interaction model. Cloud Authorization Service and Cloud Entitlement Service came from nowhere.

9) I think that the following flow violates Security 101: "...The Cloud Entitlement Service returns a set of permissions. The Cloud Authorization Service does the access check based on the entitlements" - the permissions of the user may be intersepted between Cloud Authorization Service and Cloud Entitlement Service.

I do not think that this solution requires 2 services: Cloud Authorization Service should be able to reach entitlement resource and act a) as a PDP; b) as a PEP. That is, no permissions shoud be exposed outside of the requesting Cloud Authorization Service at all; all desicions should be made inside the Cloud Authorization Service.

This is not a Use-case, this is a partially articulated task and a _solution_.

- Michael Poulin