clr-dev message

Subject: Re: [clr-dev] Quotes in key values

At 2008-03-05 15:44 +0100, Linda van den Brink wrote:
>When using the Crane method for transforming CVA+Genericode to
>Schematron, I stumbled upon the following:
>
>"This methodology does not support key values containing single
>quotes: "'s-Hertogenbosch" in list: xmlid=aanduidingreeks"
>
>The list is a list of Dutch city names and unfortunately there are
>city names that start with a single quote... Since it is a list of
>unique names, I would like to be able to use them as key values, but
>because of the quotes I apparently can't.
>
>Is this a limitation of the Crane stylesheets or is there something
>about this in the Genericode spec?

It is only a limitation of Crane's stylesheets ... because of the
XPath expressions that are created as a result of the
transformation.  Genericode says nothing about its implementation so
there is nothing restricting the content of keys in genericode.  This
is only an implementation issue.

I would be pleased to address this and will do so ASAP ... I was
unaware of the prevalence of coded values with single quotes, and had
thought this was a safe restriction.

Because XPath expressions are specified in attributes, the treatment
of single and double quotes is laborious.

I will announce a revision of the implementation when it is complete
... I am teaching today and tomorrow but will try to fit it into the
available time.

Thank you, Linda, for bringing this to my attention.

Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc