clr-dev message

Subject: Re: [clr-dev] Question about the validation tools

At 2010-05-12 19:46 -0700, ericdes wrote:
>I'd be interested in knowing what it would take to write those
>validation routines in C#. It looks as if the Java world has already
>what it takes out of the box, or am I wrong? Is there any source code released?

The committee is not responsible for source code, only
specifications.  This was an explicit decision made in the early days
of the committee when some code was available, but it was decided not
to work with it.  The committee decided only to work on the
specifications of the file formats and not any implementations.

And when you ask of "validation", I can think of two kinds of validation:

  (1) - the genericode and CVA files themselves are validly written; and

  (2) - XML instances validate against the constraints expressed in genericode
        and CVA files.

I have not seen any implementation of (1).  It would be checking that
the files are valid according to the conformance constraints in the
relevant chapters of each specification.

For (2) I have a complete running implementation in XSLT and
Schematron found on Crane's web site:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#cva2sch

... that is free to use by anyone.  It is being used in the UBL
committee to create the validation stylesheets included in the UBL
distribution.

I hope this helps.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01