clr-dev message

Subject: Re: [clr-dev] Context attributes

Well spotted, Eric ... but thankfully nothing official is amiss or
undocumented.

The vocabulary looked different in 2007 before it was
finalized.  What you see today is based on feedback from after the
time CIQ used a preliminary draft release.  Some of the feedback from
that time was very useful in adjusting the vocabulary to meet needs better.

For example, back then the issue of instance-level metadata was
addressed by the implementation, not the specification.  That proved
too onerous at implementation time, and subject to too much
interpretation.  To address that, the declaration of agreed-upon
instance-level metadata was added to the specification.  Some said
this made it more complex, but at least now it is unambiguous and not
subject to interpretation.

Other feedback was that combining the "context" and "xpath" address
into a complete address was too much.  This came out of the lectures
and classes I was delivering (in particular the ones in Prague CZ and
Sydney AU).  If I recall correctly, the feedback was "can't this just
be simply concatenated", which wasn't true when based on the
implementation requirements but once instance-level metadata was
added it could be true.

Anyway ... there were a number of drafts over the first few years
before the vocabulary became standardized and frozen.  CIQ's feedback
(with many thanks to Ram Kumar) helped to shape the end result.

What you see here is the latest and greatest:

   http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/cs01-ContextValueAssociation-1.0/

Keep those questions coming!

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01