clr-dev message

Subject: Re: [clr-dev] Philosophy behind the CVA contracts

Ken,

Yes, I'm sure I need to word it a bit differently... What I asked
previously was:

- if I use ES as the country code for Spain, a program will eventually
find from the ISO list that it is 'SPAIN'.
- But using a CVA contract with a partner, the same program will find
that the code SP is for e.g. 'Spain'.

Now the question is how this program might find that 'Spain' is the same
entity as 'SPAIN'. Here you'll notice that I didn't use the same cases
to differentiate both entities. You replied that ISO is now providing a
number to identify countries and I thought that if such a universal
primary key exists then it's a matter of simply mapping the codes to the
keys, or better yet don't use the codes at all, and use directly the
primary keys (why would we need an overhead?).

But I should take another example where I guess no universal primary key
will apply, e.g. 'MBPS' for 'Megabits per seconds' (in a CVA contract
#1) vs. 'Mb/s' for 'Mbits / seconds' (in a CVA contract #2). Now we have
to find a way for the same program to understand that a value of e.g.
512 MBPS is the same as 512 Mb/s.

I think that declaring the meaning of those notions would ideally take
place in the Genericodes. And this could be done like this:

In Codelist #1 used in CVA contract #1, we state that the meaning of
'MBPS' is linked to e.g. this definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit_per_second#Megabit_per_second

In Codelist #2 used in CVA contract #2, we state that the meaning of
'Mb/s' is linked to e.g. this definition:
http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/definition/Mbps. But we could
also add that we're also using another definition for the same notion
with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megabit_per_second#Megabit_per_second
as well.

I wouldn't see the definition as a primary key. The definition should
link to a human readable text that unambiguously says what the entity is
(I think this is missing from the ISO lists), or better yet a pool of
servers publishing a web service that would serve the definition in a
way that computers would understand (ontology?). In this specific case
we could also envision that those web services would return some
formulas to convert to other units.

How would the program handle this? Well, it could parse the data
retrieved from the URI and try to learn what it means, probably with the
help of a person. The goal is
- to not to have to modify the program each time we get a new CVA
contract with new code lists,
- and also have programs work the same way as humans do with code lists,
i.e. look up in a reference document.

Now it's very possible that genericodes as they are allow to do this. It
was my question if there was something in CVA / Genericode that would
help a program make the link between 2 different codes having the same
meaning.

Eric.