clr-dev message

Subject: Re: Where to put information about a version change of a code list?

Please forgive my tardy response but I've been on holiday.

What you have done is perfectly acceptable and a good example for others to follow. This presents the change information as metadata about the *maintenance* of the code as opposed to metadata about the code itself.

If you wanted the change status to be a property of the coded value, then you could have created another column and put the information there. That would have made it more accessible to users. But, is that important?

So, I would decide between the two approaches based on how accessible you wanted the change information to be for the user. To make it easier, make it a property of the coded value and in a column. If it doesn't need to be easily accessible to users, what you have is perfectly fine. It is accessible, just not as easily accessible as a column value. And I see it as a property of the maintenance of the coded value rather than a property of the value itself (though one could go either way across that very fine line).

I hope this helps.