cmis-comment message

Subject: RE: [cmis-comment] Request for Re-Incorporation of CMIS 203 into 1.0Specification

Paul,

Would it be ok to use the existing URI property datatype and encourage repository users to populate a datatype with a link to the content item for this usecase?  We have a call this morning at 9am pacific – details are on the TC page.  I hope you can join.

-Ryan

From: Paul Raby [mailto:praby@tibco.com]
Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 2:45 AM
To: cmis-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

We have a use case that has been invalidated by the removal of a feature from the specification as part of http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CMIS-203. I’m looking to see if there is a way of getting support for our use case into the CMIS specification.

We have been using draft implementations of CMIS to achieve a query via web services to locate a document in the content repository and following that construct a URL that can be presented to a browser based web client so that an end user can access content from their browser by clicking on a hyperlink direct to the content repository. This no longer works due to the removal of support for this information via the above referenced amendment to the specification.

Our use case is simply that we don’t have access to Atom Pub from our server tier and can only use web services. We are looking to obtain a URL that can be presented to a web browser in order to access content that has been located via a web service CMIS query. Our intention is to keep things as clean as possible and hence we ideally want the web service CMIS query to return a URL, or at least part of the URL that in combination with the getRepositoryInfo operation could be composed into a URL via simple concatenation.

The URL in question need not be, for our purposes, a standardised CMIS Atom Pub style formatted URL. It could be vendor specific and proprietary. So long as it can be referenced from a web browser via HTTP to a specific piece of content the actual structure of the URL is not of importance to us.

It would be really helpful if a service that we had working previously against prototypes prior to the CMIS 203 change could work again, even if the original specification needs to be modified to be able to suit all vendors.

I am therefore by this post formally requesting that this functionality be re-incorporated into the 1.0 specification again.

Kind regards

Paul Raby

TIBCO