cmis-comment message

Subject: What should CMIS Producer do when Consumer does not have access to the folders between an object and the root folder?

Hi,

I have a question about the cmis:path property.  I am implementing a CMIS Producer and need to dynamically generate the cmis:path property when it’s requested since it’s not a stored property.  This is not a problem unless the calling Consumer does not have access to one or more of the intervening folders between an object and the root folder.  My repository allows this because each folder and document object has its own ACL.  Obviously, the Consumer would not be able to get to the object through navigation, but the object could be found through the CMIS query method.  If the Consumer (user) does not have access to an intervening folder, I am unable to generate the path to root.

Both the 1.0 Standard and the 1.1 draft do not say anything about this issue.  Nor can I find anything that says how the path is used other than it can be passed to the getObjectByPath service.  I’m wondering if in the case above, I can just omit any folders from the path that the user cannot access, as long as my implementation of the getObjectByPath service will accept that “partial path” and successfully return the object.

It seems the CMIS Standard does not discuss this issue in general where a user may not have access to an object’s parent (or some other object along the parental path).

… Brian …