cmis-comment message

Subject: thinClientURI for all folders and documents

Dear all,

In CMIS 1.1, thinClientURI only allows to get the thin client URI of the repository's root.

Developing the CMIS desktop synchronization tool "CmisSync", I came to realize that any desktop tool will at some point need to show the user with the almighty web interface, to perform non-CMIS actions like workflows.

This holds true for all folders and files. Most of our users actually don't know (or understand, or even care) about whether a local folder they are working on is actually conceptualized in CMIS as a repository or as a folder.

thinClientURI is a convenient way for applications to avoid re-inventing wheels for features that they do not consider as their core features.

Building URIs by concatenation is notoriously difficult and brittle, due to how each server encodes folder separators and special characters.

Would you mind evaluating this for the next CMIS specification?

Keep up the great work!
Nicolas Raoul
Aegif
http://CmisSync.com