Subject: RE: [cmis] Scope of Hierarchical Properties

Hi, Julian,

Thanks for bringing up the XMP use case. I'm not an XMP expert either.

From strictly a "requirement" standpoint, if we want to introduce a specific representation through the CMIS interface, that representation needs to serve a function that is to be performed by CMIS-provider logic behind the interface, such as checking/enforcing certain constraints, ability to locate, find, retrieve, or update a subcomponent of that representation, or ability to invoke methods specific to that representation, etc. If the representation is only used on the CMIS-consumer side, then it can be simply passed through CMIS as an opaque string.

To my limited knowledge, XMP has been used by many applications to embed metadata in various file formats (PDF, TIFF, JPEG, etc), and this is often done outside a repository. Technically, this is not the only way that XMP can be used. So, as a use case for CMIS, we need to identify what capability a CMIS-provider needs to deliver in order to support XMP.

If XMP is typically embedded in a content file, what does it mean to CMIS? Should a CMIS-provider extract metadata from the file, or can it be done on the other side of the interface?
Is XMP used in other ways besides embedding metadata in a content file?

david

-----Original Message-----
From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@greenbytes.de]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 2:23 AM
To: Jens Hübel
Cc: CMIS TC List

Jens Hübel wrote:

> Thanks for your excellent contributions so far!
>

> I summarized the results and tried to structure them a bit in the Wiki
>
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/cmis/HierarchicalProperties_Proposal
>

> The wiki is a wiki, so feel free to edit there as well... in case I did
> not get it or missed something

Hi Jens,

thanks for that.

As I wrote, my understanding is that the XMP use case really isn't about
structured properties, but about representing RDF triples as properties,
which, as far as I can tell, doesn't require structured properties at
all. In which case we should drop it as a use case for structured
properties, and maybe start a separate discussion about it.

On the other hand, I'm not an XMP expert, so if I'm missing something
here, please somebody speak up :-)

BR, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782