Subject: RE: [cmis] Conformance and Normative Language

I think I may have mentioned this in the past, but just in case.

Although OASIS recommends the normative language that is used in IETF specifications (must/must not, should/should not, may/need not), if a specification might be taken from OASIS to ISO/IEC at some point, it is valuable to use the ISO normative language (shall/shall not, should/should not, may/need not, can/cannot) from the beginning, as allowed for in the OASIS procedures.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [mailto:dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2009 19:25
To: CMIS TC List
Subject: [cmis] Conformance and Test Assertions

I am encountering the OASIS guidelines on Conformance and some related cases concerning conformance test assertions (in specifications, but which people can develop test suites against).

It is probably useful, in considering the creation of a document in the OASIS format, to also keep the conformance targets, their definition, and the use of normative language in mind from the beginning.

The 4 September 2007 Guidelines to Writing Conformance Clauses
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html>.

There guidelines offer a number of specific instructions about identifying conformance targets and there is an interesting checklist in section 6:
<http://docs.oasis-open.org/templates/TCHandbook/ConformanceGuidelines.html#_Toc170119665>

The checklist might be useful to think about.

The David Marston presentation on Conformance Testing has some interesting guidance on test assertations being incorporated in the text of the specification.  Those slides are available online for direct review now (and I keep finding pieces that I have misunderstood), at <http://wiki.oasis-open.org/oic/TestingThoughts1>.  (I have mentioned these before.  I don't think I've mentioned the conformance clauses before.)

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton