Subject: unreadable property names and current clients?

Hi all,

I have a question how the typical clients behave in regards of property names today.

Properties have a name, an id and a query name. A property definition also has a display name. In a getChildren() or getProperties() call a property is identified by its name. Property names  have certain syntax constraints. So it might happen that a repository needs to map its internal property identification to something that fulfills the CMIS syntax. This could be a generated, meaningless string  like PROP_4711. Only the property definition then contains something readable in the displayName like "Invoice number". All the examples in the spec however contain readable property names.

So my question is: Will existing CMIS clients today display the property name directly in the user interface or will they typically do a look-up in the property definition for the display name before presenting this in the user interface?

Any feedback is welcome how you have implemented this today. Would I break clients by using a generated, unreadable property name like PROP_4711? Do we need to define a recommendation in the spec (in this case I would create a JIRA issue).

Thanks Jens