Subject: Copying documents

Hi all,

As David Caruana pointed out on Twitter, there is no API to copy a
document.
I'm sure it was considered before, so could people knowledgeable
explain the reason why it was not felt that this primitive was
necessary?

I understand that in theory copying can be done by the client by
reading data and then writing it back into a new document, but this is
horribly inefficient in many cases and as soon as you have big content
streams.

What are the problems with introducing a copy primitive? I'm sure very
few repositories don't have it natively, and furthermore if a client
can do it then the repository's CMIS bindings themselves can do it as
well, so why put that weight on the client and the network?

BTW copying folders (and their subtree of documents) would be needed
to IMHO.

Thanks,
Florent

--