Subject: Re: [cmis] Copying documents

Al Brown wrote:
 > Also, any one particular choice of semantics can be doable, but not
all repositories a) have copy and b) implement the semantics
differently. As such by including copy we make the life harder for
repository vendors.

One approach would be to look at existing standards. WebDAV and JCR IMHO
make copying essentially "best effort".

 > With respect to the rest atompub binding, how would copy be
implemented and how would it be differentiated from addobjecttofolder or
create? The Rest binding has a de-facto copy, retrieve the resource,
remove the id, and post to the folder you want (actually same process as
create except starting from an existing resource). File is the same
scenario, except you leave the id in place.

The issue of copying (and moving, for that matter) entries has come up
before on the AtomPub mailing list. So far I haven't seen anything
people did agree on, thus no interop.

Personally I think the obvious answer is to use the HTTP methods which
have been defined for this purpose, COPY and MOVE.

BR, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782