Subject: Re: [cmis] Thumbnails

On thumbnail's is it a single view like Atom Media (preview) or is it more generic and there is a set of renditions available? Both can be accomplished today by Atom with multiple links including the mime type for the client to choose.

Getting this capability into the domain model and the web services is a bit more effort. If it is a single preview image, I would treat as a content stream and have duplicate stream properties for thumbnail + new setThumbnail service. I don't think I would extend the create/checkin services to include thumbnails. I would also try to support both use cases for generating thumbnails - server and client. I would like it optional for repositories that may not have thumbnails or renditioning capabilities.

Supporting renditions of content I would not want to see in CMIS 1.0 as I think it is not commonly implemented enough as well as not being an 80% (though useful) use case.

-Al

Al Brown
Emerging Standards and Industry Frameworks
CMIS: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMCMIS/Home
Industry Frameworks: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMIF/Home

Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for David Caruana ---03/29/2009 02:26:27 PM---At the last Face 2 Face there was interest in supporting doDavid Caruana ---03/29/2009 02:26:27 PM---At the last Face 2 Face there was interest in supporting document

David Caruana <david.caruana@alfresco.com>

cmis@lists.oasis-open.org

03/29/2009 02:26 PM

[cmis] Thumbnails

At the last Face 2 Face there was interest in supporting document
thumbnails.

For AtomPub there are some initiatives for representing media content
within feeds, although none seem to be widely accepted. Two that stick
out for me...

1) Media RSS -
http://search.yahoo.com/mrss - as the name implies,
originally developed for RSS, but due to Atom's extensibility, may
also be embedded in Atom. In summary, this initiative is comprehensive
(or complex depending on your point of view), although ambiguous in
places. The main use-case, I believe, is to drive Yahoo! video search.
Google also use in their Data API.

2) Atom Media-
http://www.apparently.me.uk/22448.html - an initiative
to provide an Atom specific simplified alternative of Media RSS.
Basically, extends Atom link='enclosure' and introduces
link='preview', specifically for reduced fidelity representations such
as thumbnails.

I haven't seen any equivalent in the SOAP world.

There are two approaches we can take to introducing thumbnails into
CMIS.

a) Leverage a complementary initiative that specifically supports
thumbnails (like the above) - no winner here, and perhaps lacking in
SOAP.

b) Introduce the notion of thumbnail into the CMIS data model and
provide explicit supporting services (e.g. hook into getContentStream,
or support multiple content streams) - simple, concise, but not
necessarily compatible with broader non-ECM use cases.

I'd be interested to hear what others think about introducing
thumbnails.

Regards,
Dave