Subject: Investigating CHECKIN verb for CMIS

Julian,

I thought I would also start a thread investigating CHECKIN verb as well. Upon reading, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3253#page-38 here are some conflicts with the current RFC:

#1 Request Body must be DAV:checkin. CMIS would want it to be the atom entry for properties update if provided.

This can be done if CMIS REST/APP does not want to support checking(objectId, properties, content stream) but rather checkin(objectId) - e.g., not information on checkin just the action.

#2 The pre & post conditions are DAV specific and would not apply. In general some of them would:
a - reflected in version history
b - uri provided for checkedin version. CMIS provides an URI on both checkout and checkin. The URI could be new on checkout and then constant or new on checkin, or new on both checkout and checkin.

#3 - checkin comment is not supported by CHECKIN.

This would have to be modelled.

So, provided we wanted to write an RFC, we could get CHECKIN to work with CMIS, but I think it is in the same camp as MOVE/COPY.

UNCHECKOUT:

CMIS currently models this of the deletion of the private working copy resource. I overlooked mentioning in CMIS that documents are version specific. This modeling of DELETE of pwc seems sufficient and intuitive. So I don't see the need to change that mapping since the PWC is modeled as a separate resource.

Thoughts?

-Al

Al Brown
Emerging Standards and Industry Frameworks
CMIS: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMCMIS/Home
Industry Frameworks: https://w3.tap.ibm.com/w3ki07/display/ECMIF/Home

Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 263 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.