Subject: Re: [cmis] Proposal for "Mash-up/Browser" bindings

Derek W Carr wrote:
> I have run into a number of issues when working with xml in the browser
> some of which came up in our interoperability testing.  It is very possible
> that the issue could be isolated to our own code, but the following have
> caused issues for us when reading a parsed dom atom response in specific
> browsers usually related to level of DOM support:
>
>       being able to handle default namespaces
>       being able to handle arbitrary namespace prefixes
>
> In some cases a framework like dojo can isolate the issues.

My experience (from a few years back) was that IE was a bit tricky
because of the lack of DOM level 2 methods (so that handling namespaces
properly required MS-specific methods), and the lack of good XPath
support in the other UAs. Both issues can be worked-around by using a
library that works around them, as you say. I wouldn't make a protocol
format decision depend on that; for instance, when using JSON instead,
you'll need libraries as well (unless you use "eval" :-).

BR, Julian

--
<green/>bytes GmbH, Hafenweg 16, D-48155 Münster, Germany
Amtsgericht Münster: HRB5782