Subject: RE: [cmis] CMIS-596 / cd05 update

Thanks Al.  Again, my concern is that we have an explicit reference in the spec to an undefined XML Schema complex type.   Clients or validators using WC3 XML schema will just have to use "the right" atom.xsd, and there is no mention in the spec of what that is .  Lets discuss this one briefly on Mondays call, although given the silence on this issue, I can only assume that the TC understands and is satisfied with the solution in draft 5.

Norrie

From: Al Brown [mailto:albertcbrown@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:14 AM
To: Quinn, Norrie
Cc: cmis@lists.oasis-open.org

Done. The change is a less invasive change than xs:any and was possible in the short timeframe. I am looking forward to discussing it on the call

>As I stated in CMIS-596, I think that the solution in draft 5 is problematic as atom:feedType is not defined anywhere. It >works with a JAXB client that is using an atom XML Schema with a complex type named feedType, but might not work with >a binding framework client using another Atom schema. It also might be problematic for XML validation.
Not sure I understand this point. The current model is agreement with XML Schema. Please see 2.6.1 in http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/. Since xsi:type is a supported part of XML Schema I am not sure how it causes problems for XML validation. If you know of concrete examples of where it does cause problems, I'd like to see so we can fix it.

I've quoted 2.6.1 here:
2.6.1 xsi:type

The Simple Type Definition (§2.2.1.2) or Complex Type Definition (§2.2.1.3) used in ·validation· of an element is usually determined by reference to the appropriate schema components. An element information item in an instance may, however, explicitly assert its type using the attribute xsi:type. The value of this attribute is a ·QName·; see QName Interpretation (§3.15.3) for the means by which the ·QName· is associated with a type definition.

Best & Happy New Year,
-Al

Al Brown
Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 251 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for ---01/04/2010 07:33:35 PM---Al,---01/04/2010 07:33:35 PM---Al,

From: <Quinn_Norrie@emc.com>
To: Al Brown/Costa Mesa/IBM@IBMUS, <cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date: 01/04/2010 07:33 PM

Al,

Can you please update CMIS-596 with the proposal/solution that was implemented in draft 5:
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/CMIS-596

As I stated in CMIS-596, I think that the solution in draft 5 is problematic as atom:feedType is not defined anywhere. It works with a JAXB client that is using an atom XML Schema with a complex type named feedType, but might not work with a binding framework client using another Atom schema. It also might be problematic for XML validation.

I just want to make sure that the TC understands that we do not have the simple xs:any based solution documented in JIRA immediately after this was discussed in the last TC call.

Norrie