Subject: RE: [cmis] Re: [cmis-comment] Property ID uniqueness

I believe there is a need to express semantic equality of properties across object types, which is currently handled by prop id. For repository-defined properties, this is not a problem - in which case the repository has full control over the scope of uniqueness for each property defined. Categorically making all property definitions unique only within an object-type hierarchy would be an over-kill - it would remove CMIS’s ability to express semantic equality. On the other hand, if we use localName/localNamespace instead of prop id to express semantic equality, we would then need yet another attribute to capture the native property name whose uniqueness is repository-specific. And then, in that case, do we still need prop id?

IMHO, prop id is not the problem. The challenge is on CMIS-defined properties. Should they be unique only within a type hierarchy or unique across all object types?

One solution is to define cmis:document-name, cmis:folder-name, cmis:relationship-name, and cmis:policy-name instead of a common cmis:name.  A repository then has a choice to map them either to separate native properties or to a single native property. In other words, CMIS would not mandate semantic equality of object name across object types. (I wonder if there is a need for CMIS to impose such a requirement.)

However, this approach will require a fair amount of spec changes. If the problem described by Raphael is not a wide-spread one, perhaps we can take this up in v2.

BTW, if we do want to make some of the CMIS-defined properties unique across all object types, then we should define them only once instead of 4 times - something to consider for v2.

dave

From: Al Brown [mailto:albertcbrown@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:52 AM
To: cmis@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: raphael.jean@entropysoft.net
Subject: [cmis] Re: [cmis-comment] Property ID uniqueness

Raphael brings up an interesting point that I feel requires discussion before responding.

There are two use cases on the property definitions that are important:
1. Property Definitions are stored separately from type definitions and then applied/added to type definitions. In that scenario those fields would not be different if the same backing property is used.
2. Property ID conveys semantic equality such that a client can determine if property x (title) is the same as property y (name) on different type definitions.

Since CMIS dictates the object id for the base properties, in particular cmis:name, cmis:objectId, cmis:objectTypeId, cmis:baseTypeId, cmis:createdBy, cmis:creationDate, cmis:lastModifiedBy, cmis:lastModififcationDate, and cmis:changeToken. Out of those, I would expect cmis:name to be the most likely one to use different backing properties. With FileNet, we map two different properties to cmis:name - one for folder and one for documents. I believe the lengths are the same in the FileNet case though.

We have gone through the various proposals on property definitions and now have id, localName/localNamespace, displayName, and queryName. Out of those, only is used for references and is mandated by CMIS specification.

I would propose that use case #2 (semantic equality) be moved from property ID to localName/localNamespace. I would also state that a property definition can change (max length, etc as described below) between type definitions. That seems in line with the original intent of the statement highlighted.

Thoughts?

-Al

Al Brown
Office 714 327 3453
Mobile 714 251 6441
Email albertcbrown@us.ibm.com
CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: The contents of this message, including any attachments, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the person or entity to whom the message was addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender. Please also permanently delete all copies of the original message and any attached documentation.

Inactive hide details for Raphaël Jean ---01/16/2010 03:24:00 AM---Section 2.1.3.3.2 of the spec states that the Property ID "uRaphaël Jean ---01/16/2010 03:24:00 AM---Section 2.1.3.3.2 of the spec states that the Property ID "uniquely identifies the property in the r