Subject: Leaving CMIS TC

Dear Committee members/friends,

As you have probably noticed, I haven’t been very involved in the CMIS TC discussion/calls over the last few weeks. The reason for this is that I’ve transitioned to a new role within the SharePoint division at Microsoft, one that is

no longer directly related to content management interoperability. As such, I’ll no longer be participating in the CMIS TC, and won’t be directly involved in further CMIS integration at Microsoft.

I want to be crystal clear that this transition in no way implies any change in Microsoft’s commitment to CMIS. We remain very committed to CMIS, as demonstrated by our recent release of CMIS connectors for SharePoint 2010.  Adam Harmetz from the SharePoint Enterprise Content Management team will be joining the CMIS TC representing Microsoft going forward, and I will be working closely with him to ensure a smooth transition over the next few weeks.

I am incredibly proud of the work this group has accomplished -- starting at AIIMExpo 2006 when Cornelia Davis from EMC, Rich Howarth from IBM and I first met over coffee to say “hey, this iECM thing isn’t moving fast enough… do we want to strike out on our own to make a standard happen?”, through all of the specification work and plug-fests, all the way up to today where CMIS 1.0 is a ratified OASIS standard and real-world implementations are showing up in content management systems. And I’ve greatly enjoyed meeting and working with each and every one of you during that time.

I’ll be eagerly watching to see the great work that this group will be delivering moving forward with future updates to CMIS.

Regards,

- Ethan Gur-esh.