Subject: Proposal for a new set of XML sample files

Hi all,

Looking at the sample files we have provided with the 1.0 spec I think we have some TODOs here for CMIS 1.1. On hand the selection of samples is not the best (there are very similar files in the provided set) and others (like POST operations) are missing. There also are a few flaws in the content.

Today we are in much better position than at the time we created these samples. Given the fact that we have now real implementations we can generate these files from existing implementations instead of manually writing them. So Florian and I discussed some options how we could generate those and I worked a bit on the Apache Chemistry code to try it. I came up with a servlet filter logging all the requests/responses and a specific simple client program making the necessary requests to generate the logs for the examples. A first version of the generated output as proof of concept is in the attachment.

We can’t generate the full set at the moment because the Apache test server does not yet implement the full spec. I am optimistic that we can achieve what we need until the 1.1 spec gets finalized.

This also can help us in providing a similar set of files for the upcoming JSON binding as well (and if we want even SOAP). Perhaps it would be a good idea to discuss how to proceed in the TC:

·         Agree to update the spec examples for CMIS 1.1 (including JSON)

·         Agree on a revised list of sample files (remove those that are similar, add creation and update calls)

·         Use the output of the Chemistry tool as source for the spec editors to create the final set of examples

Jens