Subject: Re: [cmis] Question on cmis:objectid

Peter,
Seems like a reasonable question to me.
I would guess this came as an attempt to model CMIS in a way that was capable of dealing with repositories that had the concept of a version series object where each version therein was independently persistable and securable.  (FileNet is an example of this)   E.g.  User A might be able to read/write versions 2 and 3 but not any of the other versions.

Note: We are discussing (just came up again today in the TC meeting) the concept of a type of dynamic ID that would always refer to the latest version in the series much the same way that a path can today.

Jay Brown
Senior Engineer, ECM Development
IBM Software Group
jay.brown@us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for Peter Monks ---10/04/2013 01:34:13 PM---G'day TC, Quick question (though I suspect the answer may notPeter Monks ---10/04/2013 01:34:13 PM---G'day TC, Quick question (though I suspect the answer may not be ;)…

Peter Monks <pmonks@alfresco.com>

cmis@lists.oasis-open.org

10/04/2013 01:34 PM

[cmis] Question on cmis:objectid

    Sent by:

<cmis@lists.oasis-open.org>

G'day TC,

Quick question (though I suspect the answer may not be ;)…

Why are cmis:objectid's version specific?  By that I mean, why do they refer precisely to a specific version of a versionable document, rather than a document in its entirety?

The background for my question is that this trips up most of the client implementers I work with (3 in the last month alone!) and when asked to provide an explanation of why this is better than alternatives (e.g. having cmis:objectid's refer to the object in its totality, with versions of that object accessible via some complimentary mechanism) I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance,
Peter