Subject: Plan to vote on JIRA #772 at the next TC meeting

To  all:

We have extensive discussions in the past 2 months on JIRA #772 "Object identifier for 'latest state' of an object". The current state of the discussion is summarized by the 20 June and 22 June appends. Unless there is further/new comment on this issue, we intend to vote on the following questions at the next TC meeting (14 July).

- Shall we define a new, required, lifetime-stable, version-independent, repository-generated identifier for every document object, regardless of whether the object is version-able or not? This id is identical for all version objects and PWC in a version series. It may be used by a user in place of an object id to refer to the "latest state" (with respect to this user) of an object. It cannot be used where a specific version of a version-able document is to be identified. The precise semantics of this "latest state" is to be settled (see below). This id would appear as an id property and would be included in the change log if the change log feature is supported. The name of this id is to be determined. If this new id is adopted, it would be a v1.0/v1.1 Feature Extension, and would replace the Version Series Id in v2.0.

- What shall the semantics of this "latest state" be?
  a. The latest version. If the user is not allowed to access the latest version, a permissionDenied exception is thrown.
  b. If there is a PWC that the user can access, then it is the PWC. Otherwise it is the latest version, or a permissionDenied exception is thrown if the user is not allowed to access the latest version.
  c. The PWC or the newest version (not necessarily the "latest version") that the user is allowed to access, or an objectNotFound exception is thrown if the user is not allowed to see any.
  d. Repository-specific
  e. Something else?

- If we adopt this new id, shall we define the same id for all objects (not just documents)?

If you have further comments, please append them to #772. Otherwise please review and prepare to vote.

Best regards,
David