codelist-comment message

Subject: Comment on your requirements document

Hi,
  I have no EDI experience and there were quite a lot of terms in the
document that are not explained.  I know it is a requirements document
and not the specification, but your document presumes prior knowledge of
existing codelists.  This makes me a bit wary as although you appear to
be uplifting existing technology I believe that you need to be open to
new thinking from people without prior experience.

  With the above in mind, I personally would concur with the aspiration
to not just have an XML representation of a codelist.  I believe that if
you can provide a framework for extra formats such as a Java interface
or RDF/Ontology based, the information can then be utilised in a wider
environment.

Martin Roberts

BT plc,
Group Research