codelist-comment message

Subject: RE: [codelist-comment] The basic structure of the lists

Martin,

A further issue here is what I previously STRONGLY warned would happen - and I see that it is indeed happening.

I was assured that the genericode format would be only a reference semantic information model and that it WOULD NOT be promoted as a runtime format for actual operational codelists.  It clearly is ill-suited to actual operational use as both you Martin and Tony have noted already.

OASIS and the TC needs to take strong steps in EVERY announcement on availability and releases that these genericode formats are NOT designed to be used as operational codelists - only reference sets to the semantics that can be used in operational codelists that implementers should derive from them.

As a way of example - the shipping port codes genericode is a HUGE multi-megabyte file, even compressed as a ZIP.

A production extract from that in an optimized format - as you Martin allude to - and such as OASIS CAM uses - can produce fine-grained lookup lists from that in the order of 10k to 100k in size - depending on application use needs.

I feel obliged to say this again - at all costs here we should stop misleading people into thinking genericode is a production codelist format - and re-state for them that they are solely reference semantic lists of codes.

I would ask that a large an prominent WARNING comment statement is placed at the top of each genericode instance so that people understand the intent.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

 -------- Original Message --------
From: martin.me.roberts@bt.com
Date: Fri, May 18, 2007 6:24 am
To: <codelist-comment@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi,
 As a person who would need to convert the lists to be used by other
 applications, I have some concerns over the structure of the lists in
 terms of the XML.

 In order to get values from any list the xpath required would need to
 be complex in terms of looking for an appropriate attribute that given
 that name of the value and then fetching the value from a related
 element.

 This gives you a flexible structure for defining data but it does not
 allow schemas to provide validation of content or for applications to
 easily pickout the required data.

 I would have prefered the use of something like

 <Value>
 <numericode>1</numericode>
 </Value>

 Rather than

 <Value type="numericode">1</Value> (yes I know this is not an exact
 example from the document)

 The later form would not be able to be validated by a schema and
 therefore it would be possible to have the word numericode spelt
 incorrectly and the list would be broken. There are tools which can
 help in this kind of thing (CAM, Schematron) but it would be better to
 have a structure that made the best use of native XML rather than this
 current open schema approach.

 One was round the need to allow flexibility of the names for value
 types would be to have a schema structure that others could use to
 define elements that could become legitimate children of the value or
 row structures.

 Martin Roberts