codelist-comment message

Subject: RE: [codelist-comment] The basic structure of the lists

Tony,

I'm not faulting the TC here.

The problem is when these things go out to general OASIS news releases these things can get so easily out of context.

People read this stuff - see "OASIS releases new code lists specifications" - then jump over to the TC site - thinking differently to what you were intending.

This is why I am once again emphasizing the need to ensure that the original specification materials and artifacts are clearly labelled so that on quick initial inspection people are not overlooking this.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

 -------- Original Message --------
From: "Anthony B. Coates (Miley Watts)" <abcoates@mileywatts.com>
Date: Fri, May 18, 2007 6:59 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: codelist-comment@lists.oasis-open.org

[This is a personal reply, not an official reply of the Code List
 Representation TC.]

 Dear David,

 The accusation that the Code List Representation TC, or anyone in
 OASIS,
 is actively misleading people is a strong one, and I would ask you to
 consider how strongly you wish to stand behind this claim. Indeed, the
 name of the "Code List Representation TC" was chosen very
 specifically; it
 is not the "Code List TC" because we are producing a representation
 (interchange) format, not definitive run-time data structures for code
 lists. There is also nothing in the specification (to the best of my
 knowledge) that suggests that genericode is intended as a run-time code
 lookup format (which I'm guessing is what you meant when you wrote
 "production codelist format", although the term "production" can also
 have
 other implications).

 I do think that warnings at the top of each genericode document are an
 unnecessary step. However, I have made a note that the TC should
 consider
 adding more text in the specification so that it is even clearer what
 genericode is specifically designed for, and what it is not intended for.

 Cheers, Tony.

 --
 Anthony B. Coates
 Senior Partner