codelist-comment message

Subject: Context/Value Association public review

Thank you for the opportunity to comment on the OASIS Context/Value Association (CVA) standard.

I fully support this great initiative and Committee standard to become a full OASIS standard.

I had the privilege, as independent consultant to the New Zealand Ministry of Education, to trial, recommend, implement and deploy CVA since its very first draft publication in November 2006. At the time it was known as OASIS UBL Methodology for Code List and Value Validation (UMCLVV).

CVA greatly facilitates an easy and standardized way for applying shared code lists in OASIS Genericode format to specific XML path contexts. CVA implementations, such as the resources available from www.Cranesoftwrights.com, enable platform independent validations with matching validation outputs for the senders and receivers of an XML message. A huge step forward from the days when data values were validated (often inconsistently) within the many software systems sharing data.

CVA organically evolved over the years and has reached a mature state. I look forward to CVA becoming a full OASIS standard. Seeing its many benefits, I would expect a wide adoption of this standard across many types of XML implementations.

Last but not least, a big thank you to the OASIS Technical Committee for this great initiative and result.

Juerg Tschumperlin

Data Management Solutions, New Zealand

www.d-m-s.co.nz