codelist-comment message

Subject: Re: [codelist-comment] A Question re: the status of supporting derivable codelists

At 2009-11-06 10:52 -0500, Deborra J Zukowski wrote:
>Greetings,
>According to the presentation given at the New York XML SIG (May
>2007), the ability to derive code lists was set aside (from version
>0.4) so that version 1.0 of Genericode could be formalized more
>quickly. The presentation mentioned that code list derivation
>mechanisms would be added back in Genericode 2.0. What are the plans
>for the Genericode 2.0 work.
>
>Why it matters:
>I believe that handling codes, as proposed by this subcommittee is
>relevant to my work.  However, I need to be able to justify the
>added "complexity" over and above the mechanisms for extending
>enumeration proposed by
><http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-extenum/>http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/x-extenum/.
>I cannot make a strong case, given Genericode version 1.0, other
>than to say the version 2.0 will provide a way to both extend and
>restrict, and so is a more complete method for managing code lists.
>Hence, I need to know expectations for when 2.0 becomes (or is
>planned to become) a reality.

Thank you, Deb, for this input into the work of the Code List
Representation technical committee.

Note that until extension and restriction and derivation concepts are
conceived of and expressed in a version 2.0 of genericode, the OASIS
context/value association (CVA) file format can realize such concepts
in the application of (rather than the definition of) code lists in
document contexts of XML documents.  This specification is currently
out for public review:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/codelist/200910/msg00005.html

Regarding your citation of extending XSD enumeration proposed by the
paper on the DeveloperWorks, there are projects using code lists that
find the XSD approach unnecessarily restricts their application and
are, thus, unsuitable for code lists.  An example is the Universal
Business Language project where XSD files are so very restrictive in
their application and limited in their suitability that every XSD
code list enumeration is being removed from UBL 2.0 in the creation
of UBL 2.1, being replaced with an application of CVA files and
genericode files based on the work of our committee.

We look forward to your feedback and to any input you may have to the
development of genericode 2.0.

--
Upcoming:  hands-on XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO Washington DC Nov 2009
Interested in other classes?  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/i/