codelist-comment message

Subject: Public Review of Context/Value Association using Genericode 1.0

Hello,

I am writing to provide my feedback for the Context Value Association (CVA) file for generic code 1.0

My first impression on the context-value-association file is, even though the file meets its requirements quite well, the format of the file is complicated, making it hard for users / developers to understand the manner in which it must be authored. In other words, the learning curve is a bit steep.

I believe, If its format can be refactored to something simpler so that the developers can very easily understand the manner in which the file is utilised, the margin of error would be reduced and adopters of it would be significantly high in number.

In an effort to understand the manner in which the CVA must be correctly written, I documented the published draft version and re-wrote the elements of CVA to something more verbose but self-explanatory.  You may find both these xml files attached to this e-mail. Perhaps this helps in your understanding of the idea I am trying to communicate.

Finally, I am unaware whether the feed-back must be provided in a formal manner and the manner in which I am providing a feedback is appropriate. So, please do not hesitate to correct me if I am mistaken in any way.

Thanks a lot in advance for your time and efforts

Yours truly,
Viswanath Jayachandran
+31 654375186
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<cva:ValueListConstraints
    xmlns:cva="http://docs.oasis-open.org/codelist/ns/ContextValueAssociation/1.0/";
    queryBinding="xslt"
    id="urn:x-optional-unique-identifier-for-external-referencing"
    name="required-unique-name-token-for-internal-referencing"
    version="Revision: 27b - 2006-11-23 15:00z">
    <Annotation>
        <Description/>
        <AppInfo/>
    </Annotation>
    <Title>
        This is the main context/value association file for project X.
    </Title>

    <Include uri="other-assoc-file-1.cva">
        <Annotation>
            <Description>
                Incorporating information from another file. Several includes are possible.
            </Description>
        </Annotation>
    </Include>

    <ValueTests>
        <Annotation>
            <Description>
                All the tests available to be used.
            </Description>
        </Annotation>
        <ValueTest xml:id="a1" test="this > that" >
            <Annotation>
                <Description>Defines an expression that can used for validation </Description>
            </Annotation>
        </ValueTest>
    </ValueTests>
    <ValueLists>
        <Annotation>
            <Description>All the lists available to be used.</Description>
        </Annotation>
        <ValueList xml:id="a3" uri="enumeration1.gc">
            <Annotation>
                <Description>
                    Defines a set of external values with no masquerading meta data that can be used for value validation
                </Description>
            </Annotation>
        </ValueList>
        <ValueList xml:id="a4" uri="enumeration2.gc">
            <Annotation>
                <Description>Defines a set of external values with masquerading version meta data.</Description>
            </Annotation>
            <Identification>
                <Version>1.4</Version>
            </Identification>
        </ValueList>
    </ValueLists>

    <InstanceMetadataSets>
        <Annotation>
            <Description>
                All the kinds of instance-level meta data available i.e.
                the rule-set that applies to instance information
            </Description>
        </Annotation>
        <InstanceMetadataSet xml:id="i1">
            <InstanceMetadata address="../@version" identification="Version">
                <Annotation>
                    <Description> The version in this example is an attribute for an attribute. </Description>
                </Annotation>
            </InstanceMetadata>
        </InstanceMetadataSet>
        <InstanceMetadataSet xml:id="i2"> <!-- The value of id is referenced in the meta-data attribute of 'context' element -->
            <InstanceMetadata address="@version" identification="Version"/>
            <!--
                If the instance level meta-data identified by the xpath expression in 'address' attribute, exists for instances,
                then generic code(s); identified by the xpath expression that is the value of 'identification' attribute is used.
                When a binding is defined, the xpath expression for generic codes is applied against an list.
            -->
        </InstanceMetadataSet>
    </InstanceMetadataSets>

    <Contexts>

        <Annotation>
            <Description>
                All the contexts using lists.
                A binding is defined between the rule-set for instance information defined by 'InstanceMetadataSet' element
                and enumerations/expressions defined by 'ValueTest' or 'ValueList' elements
            </Description>
        </Annotation>

        <Context address="@item-a" values="a4" metadata="i1">
            <!-- 'address' attribute holds a xpath pattern; that must applied for instances being validated  -->
            <!-- 'values' attribute refers to one or more identifiers of ValueList or ValueTest elements -->
            <!-- 'metadata' attribute holds a value that refers to rule-set applicable to instance information -->
            <Annotation>
                <Description>Associating a set of values with all item-a= attributes.</Description>
            </Annotation>
        </Context>

        <Context address="context-b1/item-b" values="a5" mark="characteristic-1" metadata="i2">
            <Annotation>
                <Description>
                    Associating a set of values with item-b children of the
                    context-b2 element.
                </Description>
            </Annotation>
        </Context>

    </Contexts>
</cva:ValueListConstraints>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<context-value-association>

    <Include uri="other-assoc-file-1.cva"/>

    <validations>
        <expressions-for-validation id="5678"/>
        <lists-for-validation/>
    </validations>

   <rule-sets-for-instance-information>

       <instance-information rule-set-id="1234">
           <exists instance-level-metadata-item ="xpath-expression">
               <generic-code expression ="xpath-expression"/>
           </exists>
       </instance-information>

   </rule-sets-for-instance-information>

    <bindings>
        <binding validation-id="5678" rule-set-id="1234" instances-satisfying="xpath-pattern">
            <message>some-text</message>
        </binding>
    </bindings>

</context-value-association>