Subject: Some directions for using the Kavi document repository

Fellow Code List Representation TC members,

My action items from our first meeting was to
overview what I've learned regarding using the
Kavi document repository.  After years of working
with the repository I still make mistakes on a
daily basis that require me to modify my entries,
so please don't get discouraged trying to work with the files.

First of all, go to our committee work page:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=codelist

   (eventually this will be http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/codelist
    but that link is not yet active)

There is a purple button titled "TC Members Page"
used to get to the work area after logging in:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/

Ignoring the yellow left-aligned banner near the
top, there is a banner of highlighted words lower
down, right aligned, in which you will find a
link to "Roster", "Calendar", "Documents", etc.
... go into the repository by clicking "Documents".

There are a number of folders:

     Code List Examples
     Discussion Drafts
     Standards
     Submissions
     Temporary files and sandbox

Determine the folder into which you need to
upload the document and click "Add New Document"
to start document upload interface.

The upload interface has many fields:

  - the document source can be entered in the
"Browse for a file on your computer:" box directly or with the browse button
    - I typically follow a convention on the file
name of including the string "-CCYYMMDD-HHMMz" in
the filename where the time of day is UTC (indicated by the "z" suffix)
    - you will see below that I have found a
purpose for using the "Enter Web Address" box,
but this shouldn't be for committee materials
because the resources should have a permanent
home in the Kavi document repository

  - I do not change the document title so that
the file timestamp shows in the repository

  - the description is used for all versions of
the document; I typically set it for the purpose of the document

  - the initial comment describes the particular
revision being uploaded; I don't usually have a
comment in the first version but I do describe
changes in this box when I post revisions

  - usually the folder and sharing are pre-set,
but if not, be sure to enable sharing to the general public

  - the state should be left as draft; other
states will be used later in the committee process

  - IMPORTANT: turn off Email Notifications:  it
is my practice (and recommendation) that you post
your own notification (described below) so please
turn this off because the automatic notification
produced by Kavi uses a hyperlink that is only
password protected, and I prefer posting links
that are publicly accessible, as this will help
those who are looking through our archives

  - now the document can be uploaded using the
"Add Document" button ... I find I often get a
"cannot find server or DNS error" with large
files (sometimes even with small files!),
requiring me to go back to the upload
(descriptions are preserved but not file name or
turned-off email notification), reentering the
filename, and possibly having to turn off the
email notification and trying again

At this point you should have the document in the
repository.  Go back to the Documents menu and
you should see your document in the folder
listing.  Note that under the "Actions" column at
the right you can access the meta data by
clicking on "Manage" for your documents.  This
reads as "Details" for documents you did not
upload since you cannot change the meta data for
those documents.  This is where you would delete
the document or modify the meta data (including
the document file name if need be).

Next, to prepare the email announcement to the
group and archives, you have to determine the
document number in the repository ... this is
done by hovering (without clicking) over the
hyperlink of the filename given to you in the
"document details" box, or under the Document
Name column, and looking at your status bar in
your browser ... this hyperlink has the format:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/codelist/download.php/#####/XXXXX

... where ##### is the document number in the
repository and XXXXX is the filename.  This file
name is the *password protected* filename, so
this is *NOT* the filename you should be posting
in the group archive.  Unfortunately this is the
filename that is posted if you let Kavi do its
own email announcement of your file, which is why
I ask that you not let Kavi do it.

Now that you are equipped with the document
number, you should be able to use your browser
address bar and enter the hyperlink with "#####"
replaced with your document's number:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=#####

It is with this publicly-accessible link that you
post your message to the list in the normal
fashion with your own composed email
message.  This hyperlink is not protected by a
password and the general public will have access to the document.

It is hard to remember to do this, but those of
your documents that are under constant revision
should be managed in Kavi as separate revisions
of the *same* document.  I find that I do,
accidentally, forget to post a new revision as a
revision of an old document, but I have a recovery strategy noted below.

An example of a document with many revisions is
in my work in UBL, where the following links to version 7 of a document:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=20232

If you should have a revision for your document,
find the document in the main repository listing
and click "Manage" under the "Actions"
column.  Click the "Add a revision" button to
start the document upload interface again, this
time for your new revision, and again please
remember not to use automatic email
notifications.  You will see that you will get a
new document number from the repository and you
can customize your own notification to our mail
list for others (and the public through the archive) to see.

An example of where I messed up and forgot to
post a revision as a revision can be see in the revision of the following:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=20255

In the history for document 20255 you will see
that I started revising version 6 of this
document (the point where I finally learned about
using revisions) with a version 7 and a version
8, and each of the ZIP files can be seen.  I
didn't have a version 9, but when version 10 came
around I forgot to make it a revision of version
8 and started a brand new document 20273:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=20273

Revisions to this document (version 10) now have
to go in as revisions to 20273 ... but how did I
link the unlinked version 10 to the old version
8?  I went into the "Manage" interface for
version 8 and posted the above 20273 web page
address as the document source for the revision
for version 8 in the "Enter Web Address" box.  I
also entered filled in the Document Title with
the revision timestamp and the word "Link".

Now when someone looks in the repository at
versions 6, 7 or 8, they will find there is a
revision 10, and when they click on that they
will then see version 10 and any subsequent
versions in the history of version 10.  One
cannot trace backwards to older revisions this
way, but that is less important than being able
to trace forwards to newer revisions, which I believe this scheme accomplishes.

I hope this is considered helpful.  I would
apologize for the complexity, but then I didn't
design this interface ... but after working with
it for a while it really does make sense and when
one is carefully uploading documents the end
result can be a very useful resource for the
general public reviewing the archive.  I
especially like it that someone finding a
two-year-old link to the repository will see that
there are revisions of the document they are
looking for that were posted after the original announcement was made.

So, I live with the complexity.  I hope you can as well.

Thanks!

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training: Vårø, Denmark 2006-10-02/06,11-20/24
UBL International 2006  2006-11-13/17 http://www.ublconference.com