Subject: Re: [codelist] Fwd: [chairs] FW: New Specification Templates and Guidelines now Available

Don't mean to spoil the fun but please put me down in the NO column.

I intensely dislike the use of http: URIs for xml namespace names - for that
matter, for  "pure" identifiers in general - identifiers who's sole purpose
is to allow two parties to  agree that they are talking about the same
thing.   And I reject the w3c dogma that all identifiers must resolve to
something, that there is no such thing as a "pure identifier".

XML namespace names should not be dereferenceable, and thus should not be
http:

In fact, we (Library of Congress) have applied for an 'info:' namespace, see
http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc

for xml namespace names.  Pending approval of that you could coin a URI like
this, say, for the codelist schema:

                          'info:xmlns/oasis/codelist'

Simple as that.

You can see the list of pending 'info:' namespaces at :

http://alcme.oclc.org/wikid/CollectionInfoUriRegistry

and in particular the xmlns application at:

http://alcme.oclc.org/wikid/CollectionInfoUriRegistry:info:xmlns/

--Ray