Subject: SV: [codelist] Fwd: [chairs] FW: New Specification Templates and Guidelines now Available

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen
-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Bryan Rasmussen [mailto:BRS@itst.dk]
Sendt: 27. februar 2007 09:30
Til: Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress; Code List Representation TC
Emne: SV: [codelist] Fwd: [chairs] FW: New Specification Templates and
Guidelines now Available

Well, that something is dereferenceable does not obligate it to be
dereferenced. It is true that the common problem when people are first
introduced to a namespace beginning with http is that they expect it to be
required to be dereferenced for the namespace to function, and sometimes it
can be difficult to get it through to them that it is not so, but sooner or
later most people get it, so I don't think one can say namespaces should
never be http. Furthermore since the namespaces spec allows http I think it
should have been understood that while they did not need to be dereferenced,
implied dereferenceability was an attribute of any namespace uri using http
as the scheme identifier. If one has made a http uri, which seems to be the
most common thing people do, it will at any rate return some information if
dereferencing is attempted, so why not have it return something meaningful?

Finally, I can make an implementation quite easily of the info uri scheme on
windows that maps to
http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=reg&id
entifier={ the input info uri }
such that info:arxiv 'dereferences' to
http://info-uri.info/registry/OAIHandler?verb=GetRecord&metadataPrefix=reg&id
entifier=info:arxiv/

so much for purity.

And why does one have a registry for info: identifiers? because one wants to
find out the use of the namespace, I guess. This reminds me of a comment by
Sean McGrath
http://seanmcgrath.blogspot.com/2005_04_10_seanmcgrath_archive.html#111337910
941603816#111337910941603816

"Any would-be rigid designator, needs a state of affairs to be dereferenced
against. HTTP is a well known resolver of rigid designators given a state of
affairs:-)

Most ironic in all the MMTT URN shenanigans is that so many URN resolving
schemes end up doing a quick shimmy to convert the URNs into unique HTTP URIs
:-)"
(what I considered most relevant of that comment)

I would argue that what you are doing is basically limiting the functionality
of something and asserting it is better. The assertion that a less powerful
thing is an improvement is claim requiring some proof, and given the last few
years it does not seem anyone has a good proof. I suppose this is because the
people arguing for dereferenceability can point to things that can be done if
one dereferences, and the ones against dereferenceability cannot point to
anything they can do that the dereferencing people can't do. This, imho, is a
bad position to be in when making an argument.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen