Subject: Candidate bullets for presentation material regarding CLRTC work products

Jim, per your request during the call I found in my archives some
bullets one could glean for a presentation on genericode and the work
of the CLRTC.

Changes since April are the status of the specification (now going to
Second Public Review) and the document number for the
Schematron-based validation methodology (now
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=24518
for the latest).

There may be more examples soon.  One is a set of genericode files
used to encode the UBL International Data Dictionary, using
genericode as a general-purpose key-based sparse-table
representation.  An early version is already on my corporate web
site, but I'll be updating that this afternoon with some new
ideas.  This afternoon's version will have examples of complex
content maintained in a genericode file.

I hope this helps.

. . . . . . . . . . . Ken

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:49:53 -0400
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com>
Subject: Re: [codelist] codelist example
   genericode
     - XML vocabulary for the expression of a set of enumerated values
     - list-level meta data (standardized labels)
     - value-level meta data (arbitrary content for the maintainer of
the values)
       - one "row" per coded value
       - multiple maintainer-defined "columns" per coded value
     - current implementation level: 0.4
     - http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/codelist/ responsible for
XML vocabulary
       - expecting 1.0 release "real soon now"
     - no specifications on how genericode files are used
     - genericode file rendering stylesheets available as free
developer resources from Crane Softwrights Ltd.

   UBL Methodology for Code List and Value Validation
     - XML vocabulary for the expression of associated document
contexts (using XPath) and value lists (using genericode)
     - "second pass" value validation using Schematron
       - first pass satisfies structural and lexical validation,
typically with ISO/IEC 19757-2 RELAX-NG or W3C Schema
     - methodology supports validation of different values for one
information item that is found in different document contexts
     - approaches to restricting lists, masquerading lists and extending
lists
       - focus on proper meta data management
     - current implementation level: 0.8 draft 4
       - http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=22591
       - will release 1.0 when genericode 1.0 is finalized
     - publicly-available Schematron implementations at
http://www.schematron.com
       - reference implementation in XSLT
       - commercial implementations in Python
     - context/value association file rendering stylesheets available
as free developer resources from Crane Softwrights Ltd.

You can find some examples of genericode files in the UBL deliverables:

    http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/

Of note, here are some of the files and how they differ from others:

   An empty list with only meta data:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/default/ExemptionReasonCode-2.0.gc

   Lists with values not expected to change:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/default/LongitudeDirectionCode-2.0.gc

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/default/OperatorCode-2.0.gc

   Lists with an initial set of suggested values:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/default/DocumentStatusCode-2.0.gc

   Lists that are available but not automatically engaged because of
their size:
    http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/special-purpose/
    - the container list is interesting because of the value-level meta
data
    - the port list is expected to be reduced by users to the
restricted list they need

You can download the referenced Crane's stylesheets from our free
resources library and render these to HTML if you don't want to show
the XML angle brackets.

--
Upcoming public training: XSLT/XSL-FO Sep 10, UBL/code lists Oct 1
Male Cancer Awareness Jul'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc