Subject: Re: [codelist] Proposed Conformance Clause for genericode 1.0 specification

My apologies, I've been travelling, and I am woefully behind in keeping up
with e-mail.

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 20:59:16 +0100, G. Ken Holman
<gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com> wrote:

> Conformance
>
>     An XML instance is considered to be conforming to the
>     OASIS code list representation genericode document model
>     if it does not violate any constraints expressed in the
>     genericode.xsd and xml.xsd schema expressions associated
>     with this version of the specification.

Conformant genericode code lists also need to satisfy the extra rules that
the Schema *can't* check.  It comes back to what I wrote a while back,
that the normative parts of the specification together *are* the
definition of the conformance criteria, more or less.  We certainly need
to capture that adherence to the Schemas alone isn't sufficient.

What are these extra rules?  Well, for example, each row has to have a
sensible set of values.  It has to have one and only one value for each
required column, and may have at most a single value for an optional
column.  In matching values to columns, you have to take account of the
rule for how you implicitly match values to columns when the column isn't
explicitly specified.

Also, references to external column sets and code lists have to be valid,
i.e. the columns that you refer to in an external file must exist in that
file.  In addition, the actual values should conform to the datatype for
the matching column.  I'm sure these aren't all of the extra rules, I'm
just writing down the ones that come to mind.

By the way, I'm happy to change the name of the Schema to
'genericode.xsd'.  Was that a decision, or a suggestion, from previous
telecons?  Apologies I missed the last two, by the way.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates
Senior Partner